Malaybalay's city council approved last month a resolution on the extension of the term of contract for the P225-million three-phase public market.
The city council passed the resolution on October 21, almost three months after H.R. Lopez Co. Inc., the contractor, asked for a nine-month extension after work was suspended for months, the Central Mindanao Newswatch reported this week.
City officials, however, said the contractor resumed construction work on August 15 even without the city council’s official go-signal "at its own risk".
It was not known if the decision was unanimous but city councilors indicated in earlier interviews they would likely decide by consensus, triggering a series of "question hours" with representatives from the city engineer’s office, city legal office, the firm, and other groups.
City legal consultant and retired judge Jesus Barroso earlier said the city could opt to either approve the proposed extension or go into the tedious process of rebidding and possibly litigation.
Councilor Manuel Dinlayan, chair of the committee on infrastructure, zoning and land use, had also hinted they might approve the extension but that the payment scheme would be itemized not lump sum and that there should be no escalation of prices.
The resolution was not specific on these conditions but provided that "the terms and conditions of the contract shall remain the same". Read a news story about this here.